Independent Living Coordinator
Full Time Position
Living Independence for Everyone (LIFE), Inc., a 501(c) (3) nonprofit service and advocacy organization for people with disabilities seeks a self-motivated, reliable Independent Living Coordinator.
Primary Job Duties
- Answer phones and obtain appropriate intake information from referrals and calls from consumers wishing to obtain services.
- Provide independent living services including Information and Referral, Peer Support, Skills Training, and Advocacy services to consumers.
- Assist consumers in creating independent living plans to help them become as independent as they can and want to be.
- Represent LIFE, Inc. and people with disabilities in relevant trainings, conferences, workshops and seminars, public meetings and gatherings
- Maintain a list of available accessible housing in LIFE’s service area and focus on efforts to increase accessible housing for people with disabilities
- Participate in all LIFE training programs and attend scheduled meetings.
- Meet goals and work plan activities put forth by LIFE, Inc.
- Prepare reports, forms and documentation as required by LIFE, Inc. and funding sources.
- Promote the Independent Living Philosophy.
- Act as a “cheerleader” for consumers.
- This position reports to the director.
- Bachelor’s Degree in the field of study relevant to the provision of Independent Living Services or at least one year of experience in the direct delivery of human services. Personal experience in independent living and/or a personal experience with living with a disability may be substituted for certain education or work requirements.
- Strong computer skills, knowledge of Microsoft Suite programs, and comfortable using online databases
- Effective oral and written communications skills
- Patience in interpersonal interaction and thoroughness in task completion.
- Demonstrated capacity to work with diverse populations
- A working knowledge of and/or interest in and willingness to learn about the Independent Living philosophy, the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), Fair Housing and other disability related laws and regulations
- Dedication to finding ways to increase affordable and accessible housing and transportation options for people with disabilities
- Strong organizational and multi-tasking abilities
- Experience with peer support preferred
- Reliable transportation and the ability to travel across all 11 counties as the job necessitates
- Demonstrated knowledge and skills in working in the community and developing partnerships to accomplish common goals.
The above listed essential qualifications are not all-inclusive as other responsibilities may be assigned as necessary.
Starting salary is $11.00
Resumes accepted until the position is filled.
LIFE, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer and offers a drug free and fragrance free workplace. All candidates are subject to a background check and drug screening. LIFE invites all applicants to include in their cover letter a statement about how your unique background and/or experiences might contribute to the diversity, cultural vitality, and perspective of our staff and service provision. Individuals with disabilities are highly encouraged to apply.
Interested candidates should email a resume with a cover letter summarizing qualifications, compensation requirements, experience, and two references we may contact to:
Neil Ligon, Executive Director